Sunday, March 26, 2006

What is a Singaporean?

I called myself a SBC or Singapore-born Chinese (a more familiar term would be ABC: American-born Chinese). My grandparents immigrated from Swatou, China to start life afresh in this sunny island. My parents and I were borned and bred on this island. I went through the Singapore's education system and served in the national service. So, I consider myself as a typical Singaporean.

What amazes me is that foreign and even Singaporean acquaintances had asked me what nationality I am? Recently, my boss said I do not look, speak or behave like a Singaporean. They thought I was Thai, Vietnamese, Malaysian or Hong Konger etc. Anything except Singaporean. When I visited Vietnam last December, the locals started to converse in Vietnamese when they saw me. I had to grin and tell them in English that I do not understand them. The same incident happened to me in Thailand years ago.

While browsing to buy an English dictionary at a bookshop, I had asked a lady who was at the same section to recommend me the best dictionary to buy. She turned out to be a lecturer at a local university and teaching English. She articulated with the queen's accent and recommended one suitable for me. Then she poped the question, "Are you a Singaporean because you don't sound like one?"

Working at a research institute provided me plenty of opportunities to meet foreign talents. My Indian friend told me that I do not behave like a Singaporean while we chatted at the pantry.

So, can anyone help me to determine how does a Singaporean look, speak and behave from a visitor's point of view?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Halo Paul,

U do know most,if not all Singaporeans slang to help foreigners understand them better. D "Singaporean" they r refer to probably has "lah" and "hor" peppered all over their speech.

Anyway,I'm of the opinion that U do have an accent when u speak English and it is Teochew! Reli!

Cheers:)

Paul said...

I do not slang to make myself understood. Found that people here speak at a higher pitch with some having something in their mouths when they speak.

Also need to concentrate when African-American speak 'cos they talk real fast with a heavy accent. I thought Singaporeans speak fast enough.

Haha, I have never heard one who said that my English has a Teochew accent.

Anyway, I speak Singlish with friends only, interchanging Hokkien, Chinese, Malay and English.

Anonymous said...

I think I agree with Debbie now that she mentioned it. Yup, you have a Teochew accent. Just like me :)