Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Friends in a foreign land

Providence comes in the form of colleagues (who are helpful and warm) when I needed it most during this initial period of settling in the USA.

At work, I was guided in my wet experiments since I was totally new to it.

In addition, I was briefed on the USA tax, health insurance and social security systems. The information was too much to process for a small brain like mine.

As for my empty apartment, I am grateful to Delores for giving me the halogen lamp to light up my otherwise dark room at night; Betty had provided me with pots and pans for cooking as it is expensive to eat out and a comfortable bed to sleep on instead of on the floor. Kuen Ok had volunteered to help me buy a rice cooker from a faraway mart. On Mar 10, these three ladies accompanied me on a shopping spree to get my essential items.

What would I do without all the help from my colleagues in a foreign land. It has definitely made my settling easier and less home sick. Till now, I do not feel it except during upacking of my belongings at my FORMER empty apartment. One reason why people feel home sick is because of the loneliness and helplessnes in a new environment. As one grows older, it is harder to change because you are comfortable with the status quo. So, the idiom 'you can't teach an old dog new tricks' is quite true. Change is not a bad thing because if you take it positively, it can bring about growth and maturity. New friendships are formed while I am maintaining old ones by writing my blogs. The wonder of technology has managed to pull distance closer!

PS: Over here, it seems that a microwave oven is an essential because of the convenience it provides. The average price is USD40 versus a 5-litre rice cooker which cost me USD90. Haha, I guess rice cooker is not popular in this country. With the number of microwave ovens flying off the shelf, it is economical to sell it cheaper.

No comments: