Wednesday, March 15, 2006

The Maryland Zoo in Baltimore


I kept my promise to talk about the zoo in Baltimore. It is located at Druid Park. Without a car and a driving license, I took bus service 22 and walked for a good 20-minute stroll. At the beginning of the walk, there was
no sign to the zoo. I just trusted my gut to continue walking ahead till I saw lots of parked cars.



Since the zoo was celebrating its 130th anniversary, the entrance fee was waived. Naturally, there was a large crowd at the entrance when I arrived. The adult price was USD15. After passing through the gantry, you can either walk about 1km to the attractions or take a tram. I took the tram and arrived at the main area. There were only three main attractions, the polar bear area which housed a few animals from the Artic, the african journey which I could not see many different animals and Maryland wilderness area which was meant for children.


Overall, I was glad my colleagues did not come with me to the zoo. From my visit, I was disappointed because most of the animals were not in sight or they were too far to be seen. The diversity of animal species was limited. The only consolation I got was that I managed to see the
snow fox and snowy owl (like those in the movie 'Harry Potter'). More could be done to improve this zoo. They could take a leaf from The San Diego Zoo or The Singapore Zoological Gardens which are among the world's top zoos.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The snow owl where got look like the one in Harry Potter?

Anonymous said...

Love the pic of the giraffe :). Looks very professionaly taken :).
Good to know u are living very well too, thanks to lots of new friends :)

Anonymous said...

Just to say "Hi" ..
enjoy the states ...
and may see you ;)

Mathieu ....