Friday, March 10, 2006

Advantages of being a couch potato

There are many avenues where you can understand a country's culture. For example, through its cuisine, music, literature and of course, TV programs among others.

As a true blue coach potato for a week, the moment I returned from work, I switched on the box to allow some noise to fill my otherwise quiet apartment. After fixing some quick dinner (since it is expensive to eat out), I glued myself to the box while eating. Well, I am impressed for one thing at the number of free channels available from the box. I was switching between channels for about 80 times. Amazing! The mindless switching can be calming after a hard day's work.

In Baltimore City, I was able to switch channels dedicated to sports (e.g. basketball and even fishing), sitcoms, cartoons, talkshows, movies and telemarketing. With so many channels to choose from, I was spoilt for choices. There was the trait of switching to another channel during commercial breaks.

Talking about commercial breaks, I managed to get information on the 130th celebration of The Maryland Zoo in Baltimore where there were free entrance over the last weekends. (More of this zoo in another posting).

Guess being a couch potato has some advantages for a newbie like me in a foreign land and culture.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now you know how relaxing it can be sitting in front of TV after a hard day or a hard week. Finally you understood what I felt, at least a 1/100,000 fraction of what I felt ;p

Anonymous said...

yo yo, finally got the time to read all your blogs....wah, seem that u had been through quite a bit...good for you actually...coz it helps u to grow :)

I am suffering in comfy Singpore...lotsa work problems etc....but after reading ur blog, I think I can pull through this period feeling a little better and stronger than before :)

Good improvisation, and that milk bath sounds luxurious :P....errmm....no matter how therapeutic a TV can be, find something better to do soon when u are more settled down :P.

Jia you wor!!! Cya this June!!! :D