Monday, March 27, 2006

Iron deficient? Use a rusty wok

As a SBC, I had been brought up to use a wok for cooking. Using a frying pan for me can be a torture because the heated oil often splashed out and burnt me. At least with a wok which has higher wall could minimize against these mishaps unless you did not drain off excess water from your food. Ultimately, you would need a plastic surgery in this unfortunate scenario. It would not be splashing but exploding with oil. Haha... (Just remember, water and oil do not mix). Whenever I used frying pan, I would be like an ancient soldier, where a wok cover would be my 'shield' and a spatula as a 'sword' to turn the food. But over here, I have no cover and I prefer a wok.

During one of my shopping trips, I bought a wok from a departmental store that is well patronize by Americans. I lost no time to use it when I was back. I cooked a large wok of spaghetti and cleaned it after used. The next morning, I saw brown powder on the inside of the wok. Thinking that I did not cleaned it well, I washed it before using to fry chicken. However, I had my reservation that I was getting "iron supplement" in my food. True enough, the cleaned wok had rust or iron oxide (Fe2O3). This time it formed on the interior and exterior.

When I brought it back to the store for a refund, the store assistant actually asked me, "Why are you returning the wok?" Either she was blind or she thought that the wok looked this way. My colleagues laughed at her question when we were alone and jokingly said if anyone is iron deficient, cook in a rusty wok, bought especially from this store.

After this incident, I am paranoid of rusty wok. So far, the wok that I bought from Ikea has not rusted and I hope not to take "iron supplement" from it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hohoho, I see you are quite good in injecting life to your new home, well done :)

Queen-sized bed ah, dun be tempted to do what u still cannot hor ;). Someone is waiting for u in S'pore...hohoho :D

Iron is good for your health, but too much makes you rusty.....really...... ;)

Anonymous said...

first the rust proved that the wok is made of real iron.
the second is that rusty is a normal thing for iron wok. especially for the first several days. you can dry the wok first after clean and use some oil to coat the surface of the wok.

xixi.
zimin

Paul said...

Well, I am done with that rusty wok. Using one that has not rust yet.

Find it too troublesome to oil the surface.