Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Humbled by Mother Nature

The weather forecast predicted rain for this week. Previously, I thought the rain here should be called drizzle because the rain drops were so tiny. I experienced the so called 'rain' twice and thought I would not need an umbrella.

Boy was I wrong this week. On Monday, April 3, I was working late in the lab when I heard some noises outside the window as though someone was throwing stones at the window. I was surprised to see hailstones about 0.39 in (1cm) in diameter hitting the window.

After witnessing the hailstones, I was humbled that the weather in Baltimore can really be freakish. For example, the weather last week was considered warm (above 10 degree celsius) but this morning (April 5), it was snowing with strong winds. The snowflakes were twirling literally as it was drawn in the cartoon, X-men, when Storm uses her power.

For someone who comes from a tropical country, seeing the sun would mean that it must be warm outside. I was wrong again because the winds were chilling. Guess, I could not pack up my winter clothes for now till end of April.

My salute to all the plants and trees who have adapted to the bitter cold.

No comments: