Sunday, April 16, 2006

Finding an olympic-sized pool here is difficult

What is the size of an olympic pool?

That would be 25 metres by 50 metres or 27 yards by 55 yards with a minimum depth of 2 metres (2.18 yards).

The biggest I could find was about 10 yards by 22 yards. With one breath, I was able to swim from one end of the pool to the other. Usually, I swam on average 30 laps of 50 metres back home. Here, I have to swim about 75 laps to cover the same distance. Haha, I have not covered 75 laps here because I am not as physically fit as before. Aso, I think I will get dizzy from having to tumble turn so many times.

During winter, all outdoor pools were closed while indoor pools were opened throughout the year. The indoor pools were heated. The pool management had to compromise on the water temperature between users who went there just to soak in the water and those who wanted to swim. Soakers preferred warmer water while swimmers like a lower temperature. Once, the temperature was set too warm that it was exhausting to swim.

With temperature slowly climbing north, I am waiting for the opening of the outdoor pools.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wa,.... that means you'll be tumble-turn king when you return?