Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Spun like bacteria in a centrifuge

Yesterday, there was a brief respite from the onslaught of continuous rain since Friday (Apr 21). The Johns Hopkins University Spring Fair organizers and stall holders could take a breather from the sunny afternoon. Every year, since its astounding beginning in 1972, the Spring Fair has turned into the largest student run fair in the country. This year’s theme was Spring Fair 2006: Back with a vengeance.

Various rides such as the Ferris wheel and mini roller coaster rides were available. The one that I tried was called Roundup where I was spun around as though I was in a centrifuge. Since I am taller than the cushion padding, my head was pushed against the wire fence by the centrifugal force which was painful. I had to pry my head forward with my hands during the ride and I am suffering from neck ache presently. I can understand how bacteria ‘feel’ when I spun them during experiments.


In the Upper Quad of Homewood campus, there were stalls selling arts and crafts which targeted the fairer sex like handmade jewelries, clothes, scarves etc. I did not buy a single item since none appealed to me.

A variety of food stalls turned the Freshman Quad into a food haven, ranging from Asian food to Western burgers. I gobbled down a stick of chocolate-coated strawberries and tried the Dutch Funnel Cake which had sugary powder on top of convoluted bread. It tasted similar to a doughnut, though more expensive and intricate looking.


Paul reporting from Johns Hopkins University Homewood Campus.



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is the second time i saw people use bacteria to decribe something. it is funny to think like this.
In line with your thoughts, I will feel guilty because I can be a mad slaughter when I extract plasmids from bacteria. hoho.

when i was in shanghai, one senior use bacteria colonies to describe the countless stars in the sky in Tibet when he went there for sampling. It is really vivid although non-biology people can not feel it.

zimin

Paul said...

haha, so we are two persons who think alike. Maybe, you can be the middle person to introduce your senior to me. We may have other things in common.

Another scenario I can think of is the astronaut training where they are subjected to high centrifugal force too.

Killing bacteria is alright for the greater good of satisfying our quest for knowledge or ego.

Anonymous said...

xixi.
I lost contact with that senior.
I have other friends there in Johns Hopkins. Will write to them and introduce to you.

zimin

Paul said...

Great. Need to expand my social circle with more friends.

It is hard when you only work in the lab. The people I meet everyday is my colleagues and from the next laboratory group.

Not like a student where he can meet various people from different lectures.

Anonymous said...

Wah, that food looks delicious.

Btw, bacteria would feel much worse than you loh. Your speed and their speed is not even comparable. Chey.