Monday, May 08, 2006

Invitation to the Refuge Way of the Cross Church

I was invited by Delores to attend a Sunday service at her church today. Knowing that the congregation will be dressed in their Sunday's best, I put on long sleeve, pants and leather shoes instead of T-shirt, jeans and sneakers. This is a great attitude for me to learn because I am too complacent in my dressings when I attend mass.

The church was located just one street from where I attend my usual Sunday mass at Blessed Sacrament Church (Old York Road). When I entered through the main entrance, I was hit by waves of loud praising. The most often heard words were ‘alleluia’, ‘amen’, and Jesus.

The service was conducted in a dynamic and vibrant manner where the pastor will preach and anyone could stand up and praise the Lord. There would be spontaneous clapping, singing and dancing. The church was very much alive and spirit-filled.

After about two and half hours of worship, we adjourned from the main hall to the canteen below. As they celebrated Women’s Day today, all the men waited and served the ladies. I was spared the task because I was their guest. The community was very warm towards me.

Lunch began with a bowl of vegetable soup, a cup of cut fruits, followed by entrée consisting of rice, baked chicken and vegetables. I was too full for a slice of cake for dessert.

This was really an experience to see how Christians worship in USA.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hehe. interesting!
Please also describe how your own mass like when you have time.
Never attend such events.

garfield

Anonymous said...

btw, photos please