Saturday, May 13, 2006

Children see, children do

I had replaced 'monkey' to 'children' in the phrase "Monkey see, monkey do" from a personal experience. We adults are being watched by young impressionable children.

While eating his meal, my 3-year nephew started to shake his leg. In Chinese culture, it is considered rude to shake the leg or for the more superstitious, luck will be shaken away. My mum reproached him but he replied, 'Uncle Paul shakes his leg too.' I laughed hard when my mum recounted this incident to me.

If you want your kids to grow up in a certain way, do not just tell them because they usually do not listen. Instead, lead the way by showing an example to them. If you don't want your children to swear, don't swear. If you want your children to respect you, respect your parents. The list goes on. You get the idea!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Uncle Paul does that too!!

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed looking at your site, I found it very helpful indeed, keep up the good work.
»