Thursday, July 12, 2007

Horse back riding





He-ha, giddyup, rodeo, cowboy...

I fulfilled one of my childhood dreams on last Saturday when I went horse back riding. It was organized by The Chinese Students and Scholars Association (CSSA) at Johns Hopkins.

Since I had no car, fellow members were kind to offer a ride to Misty Manor Riding Stable and back.

It is located in southeastern Carroll County, MD and there is no public transport. I arrived late since we could not find the stable. A handler was pushy in asking me to fill up the liability form quickly as the trail ride was beginning soon.

I was expecting some form of training lesson since I had no prior experience. They did (in less one minute). To go left, pull the left rein; go right; pull the right rein; to stop, pull both rein and say, "Hold" and to go forward was to kick except I was not shown how to kick. Lean forward when going uphill and lean backward when going downhill.

Anyway, my horse's name was Heather and she headed straight for the trough for a drink as the weather was hot. Heather was gentle and knew what to do. She moved forward without me kicking her and stopped when there was no space in front. I just sat back and enjoyed the ride and taking pictures. Along the trail, I leaned forward to pat her.

It was fun and refreshing walking in the river on a hot day. Since horses cannot perceived depth, I had to guide her to shallow grounds along the river bed and away from low branches. I also learnt that horses would not move a foot when they urinate, which was why I was behind the group at the river.

She did galloped at certain stretches of the trail which was exhilarating. However, my camera was hitting my back with every stride.

In future, I would like to go for a longer ride and maybe go for riding lessons.

Pictures taken.

2 comments:

The Scientist said...

hey nice horsy pictures. the last time i rode was when i was 16 in Inner Mongolia. back then i felt the exhilaration was a once-in-a-lifetime feeling. because till now i haven't done it again and don't foresee that i would. do take this up if you have the possibility to do so!

Paul said...

I want to feel the wind in my hair. Haha...

Ya, I will try.

Next on the line is skydiving. I saw a website offering that. Would scare the light out of me.