Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Conquering the Impossible: My 12,000-Mile Journey Around the Arctic Circle by Mike Horn

My attention was caught by the front cover when I was browsing for a storybook at the Eisenhower Library. It looks very cold to me which reminded me of the past winter.

The author is Mike Horn, a professional adventurer and he was wearing a wolverine hood, which will never freeze even at -70 degree Fahrenheit (-56 degree Celsius).

From this nonfiction, I learnt a lot of vocabulary concerning the Arctic e.g. floe, tundra etc. Also got some tips on how to survive in the cold winter. For example, the human nose often form mucus at very cold temperature and it can be used as a natural moisturizer, as practiced by the Eskimos.

I also wondered why would anyone do such a feat of walking around the Arctic Circle on foot.

Personally, I find stepping out of one's comfort zone is an adventure itself. Different people in their own unique ways seek various options (physical, mental, spiritual) to conquer the impossible. Ultimately, the aim is to better ourselves and know what we are capable of accomplishing, where are the boundaries of our limits and our weaknesses.

No comments: