Thursday, August 30, 2007

Yipee!!!!! Secrets of creative tension.

I once read a book which mentioned on creative tension. Let me explain what is creative tension with my experiences.

I had envisioned sometime in my future that I would like to drive a car instead of taking the public transport or walking.

Till this afternoon (Aug 29), I did not have a driving license to drive a car. Thus, there was a disparity between the present and the future which created a mental tension, propelling me towards getting my car license.

Being endowed with a brain to study hard so I could get my head Permantly Damaged (re-arrangement of Ph.D.) but not with abilities for driving, I had to overcome my limitations by practising more.

To cut the whole story short, I finally got my driver license today! I can rent a car to drive myself around in USA. I am no longer a "prisoner" of bad public transport.

For those interested to know the juicy part, read on further.

I have to thank Delores Henson, my lab technician who has the guts to teach me on the roads. She is 61 year old. She kept insisting to bring me to the highway (expressway) which terrified me since I am no speed demon. I want to get comfortable with driving first before heading out there. Getting my license is just the beginning, driving safely is the end.

Special thanks to Ao Yang who "squeezed out" time from her busy schedule to teach me too.

I am grateful to Gregory Simon, my colleague who took me to Glen Burnie Motor Vehicle Administration for my test today.

We left work at 1pm for my 2.30pm appointment but he mistakenly took a longer way which left me with 30 minutes to practise with his car. I tried to do parallel parking with dismal result. Both of us had a rough idea where I stood for my test. However, since I had made an appointment, I decided to go for it, thinking if I failed, I could always try again. Skipping the test without trying would make me a complete failure.

Learning from my mistake with my application of learner's permit where I was rejected outright in the queue, I brought along my passport, social security card, working visa, bank statement and a void cheque, just in case some nasty and unhappy personnel was behind the desk.

Instead, I was just asked for my learner's permit and was sent to process my test application. The personnel serving me even wished me good luck.

I had to relief myself and calm me down before taking the test. The tester was reasonable and said I could ask questions if in doubt.

The first task was the turn about which I performed under 1 min 20 seconds (3-minute limit).

The second task was backing up (reversing) in a straight direction which was alright since the road was level.

The last task was the parallel parking which has a 3-minute limit too and the wheels must be within 12 inches from the kerb. In the midst of parking, I asked, "Can the wheels touched the kerb?" while the clock was ticking. I managed to clock 1 min 47 seconds and the wheels were way within 12 inches.

After this, he instructed me to drive out of the test circuit and told me I could collect my license on the spot. I was elated. My heart was pounding hard during the entire circuit. He also asked if I worked at Hopkins since I forgot to take down my badge.

When I recounted this to Vladimir who also got his license recently after a second attempt, he joked that he should have worn his badge too during his first attempt. His twist was that I got my license with my Ph.D. on the Hopkins badge. I rolled my eyes (implying, "Whatever"). I can sleep well tonight.

3 comments:

Charles Sng said...

Hohohohoho!! I am so happy for you bro!! :D And your adventure brought smiles and laughters to me, especially the last part :P. Congrats!! :D

Paul said...

Thank you. Now, I am waiting to hear your good news too.

If you visit me, at least I can pick you up from the airport now. The convenience of having a license!

The Scientist said...

Ah hahaha... I think having a PhD helps open doors even though it closes some too. Congrats!!