Tuesday, August 28, 2007

8 short minutes

Last Friday (8/24), I arranged for a driving practise to prepare for my driving test on this Wednesday.

The instructor called me at 8.52am to inform me that he had arrived. I told him that I was on my way to meet him. He was early since we fixed it at 9am.

When I reached my building lobby, I did not see his car so I waited till 9am before calling him. I found it strange that he should take 8 minutes to reach here wherever he was unless he was at a wrong place.

"Hello Mr. A, this is Paul. May I know where are you at?" I asked.

He replied, "Paul... bus ... back up ... crash... Re-schedule..." I could only picked up these words as he had a heavy accent.

Feeling a bit disappointed, I proceeded towards the Johns Hopkins shuttle and noticed there were more shuttles than usual. Sandwiched between two shuttles, there was a car. Its hood was crushed badly by the rear of the front shuttle. I realized the car belonged to my driving instructor. A good thing that no one was injured.

I felt bad that his livelihood was affected and was also reminded that life is fragile. Within a short span of 8 minutes, an accident happened. This episode served as a reminder to treasure each moment fully.

2 comments:

Charles Sng said...

Yup, value each day, every minute of it :)

So how did your driving test fare? Got your shiny new license already? :)

The Scientist said...

Goodness gracious! I'm glad he was fine.