Thursday, August 09, 2007

A love story by a male author?

As I was browsing for a new book to read, my eyes rested on the title "Dear John" written by a male author.

I found it odd that a guy would write about romance, so I decided to read it. I have always associated romance with female authors and the front cover has a picture of a man and a woman in embrace. I know I am stereotyping.

I was hooked after reading the first chapter and I could identify with some parts of the plot. Instead of describing the love making process between the lead characters (as in some romance novels), the author simply wrote in one sentence. The plot unraveled at the right pace and the ending was heart wrenching.

I had recommended this book to Heiny and would like to get feedback on whether males write romance differently from females.

2 comments:

Katie Z. said...

I'm thinking perhaps the male author is a Gay... Somehow or rather, they know how to love more than women...

Paul said...

Haha. The author is married.

Whether gays are more loving, I have no idea. I think it depends on individuals, not sexual orientation.