Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Pre-42nd National Day celebration on Aug 3

I finally got to meet fellow Singaporeans at the Singapore Embassy since I arrived in USA 1.5 years ago; the occasion being celebration of Singapore's 42nd independence day.

Located in Washington D.C., I had to take JHU shuttle, MARC train and Metro, followed by walking to reach my destination. With so much hassle, it strengthened my resolve to get my driving license soon.

Since I had some time to spare, I visited the National Postal Museum which was located just outside the Union Station. There was no way I would be walking around in a long-sleeve shirt with temperatures soaring above 90 degree Fahrenheit.

Inside the museum, I saw some rare collection, the various modes of transportation to mail to the remotest parts of the country like Alaska or Grand Canyon. I also got to know some of the famous people and their achievements as they were commemorated on stamps. One way of learning a country's culture is through stamps.

After that, I proceeded to the embassy where I had a bottle of Singapore-brewed beer, Tiger to reminiscence things Singapore. Spring rolls were served as appetizers which tasted delicious but I felt left out because most of them came with family members. I was not the gregarious guy I thought I am.

As I went out to sit on a pinic table, I saw a familiar face. The stranger also found me familiar but we could not pinpoint where we could have met. We thought we were in the same unit in army but then his wife came over and asked if we were in the same polytechnic. That was when I realized he was my classmate but in a different clique.

We lost touch since then but met at a faraway place from home. We caught up while having Singapore dishes (chicken curry, fried tofu, fried beef). I had a great pigout where the cream from the cream puffs just burst in your mouth upon biting them. Yummy...

To end this post, I wish my country, a happy 42nd National Day!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Made in Singapore Tiger beer? Got meh?
Thought you are not supposed to drink beer?!?

Paul said...

They brewed in Tuas. I even went there for a educational tour where we ended having free flow of beer in the lounge.

Tiger is actively opening market in USA. Remember the ad where Jessica Alba was asking who needs a Tiger? From a beer importer, Tiger is doing well and is gaining popularity.

Can la. Only drank one bottle.

Charles Sng said...

Hey, the stranger who was our classmate in Poly....is it Kim? :)

Paul said...

haha, yes. We mentioned about you. Don't know that you keep in contact with him too.