Thursday, March 15, 2007

Two books read

Yesterday, I was shocked when I returned two of four novels which I borrowed from The Eisenhower Library at Homewood Campus. The librarian informed me that I owed $10 for each of the four overdue books. I was puzzled since I distinctively remembered that the due date was Mar 14.

Anyway, I returned the books and went back to my apartment to get the other two to clear up this misunderstanding. On hindsight, I remembered when I borrowed the four books that a librarian told me that my library membership needed to be renewed by Mar 3 since it was valid for only one year. Thus, the due date was Mar 3. I presumed that the computer system did not update the due dates on my book loans and thus this misunderstanding.

After showing the librarian the due dates on my books, he agreed to waive the fee. I felt vindicated since I have never pay a late fee for overdue book. I like to maintain an unblemished record!

Let's get back to the main topic of sharing with you what I had read:

First was "Mendel's Daughter. A Memoir" by Martin Lemelman which is a tribute to his mother's bravery and perseverance during the Nazi persecution. This is a sad episode of human history which should never be repeated!

"Christ The Lord. Out of Egypt" by Anne Rice is an interesting novel on the hidden years of Jesus Christ. It projected him as very human where he was discovering his identity as God-Man.

Anne was also the author of numerous vampire books where one was made into a film starring Bratt Pitt as Louis in "Interview with the Vampire".

A mental note for myself that I should read more research papers and Immunology textbook instead of fiction and non-fiction.

No comments: