Friday, February 02, 2007

Towards driving and an identity

Two days ago, I went to Motor Vehicle Administration to apply for a learner's permit at Mondawmin Mall. The customer officer rejected one of my two proofs of Maryland residency. I was fuming for making a wasted trip!

Yesterday, I went back to apply again. I hit jackpot when the same person served me (it would have been better if this was a lottery). This time I brought along my lease document. My friend who brought hers went through smoothly and I verified the lease document was included in the official list of sources of proof. He said that they do not accept this as a proof but without conviction. That was when I knew he was just being nasty and making things difficult for me!

Next, things went smoothly where I was complimented by the administrative officer. She said, "It's a pleasure processing your application for coming prepared without all the nonsense." The reason being I had already attended the 30 hour of theory lesson, where I had to sit in a 3-hour class every weeknight for two weeks in winter!

The vision test was interesting. Other than reading off the smallest alphabets, it included testing your peripheral vision where you need to identify which side had orange flashes from the corner of your eyes. I was expecting the flashes upfront.

After this station, I was sent to take my Law Test, consisting of 20 multiple choice questions. The passing grade was 17 (85%) within 15 minutes. I skipped three questions with the intention to answer them at the end. To my surprise, after the last question, there was a message stating that I had passed.

For the final stage, I had to wait for an hour to pay a $50 application fee. I was expecting to receive my card immediately but was disappointed when it would be mailed to me within 30 days.

Anyway, I am glad that I will have the learner's permit which serves as an official identification card (ID). I had been asked to show my ID at pub entrances, student hostel and shopping counters when using my credit card. As I do not like to carry my passport around, I was refused at times or some would accept my Johns Hopkins ID card.

Now, I just have to wait till July to take my driving test and meanwhile, I have to log 60 hours of driving.

1 comment:

Charles Sng said...

Finally on your way to get your driver's license :)

As for that fellow who tried to make things difficult for you, perhaps you can write an official complain to his supervisor and let him eat his own evil fruits