Sunday, February 18, 2007

Happy Lunar Pig Year

This is my first Chinese New Year (CNY) spent away from home! Usually, I could feel the festive spirit two weeks prior to CNY when my family was busy stocking up goodies and cleaning the house. In Baltimore, it just felt like normal working days.

CNY eve was especially important to me since my family would gather to thank God for the blessings He had showered on us for the past year and shared a steamboat feast. Abalone, braised duck, fried chicken wings, etc. Thinking of them made me drooled. Chinese reunion dinner on CNY's eve is akin to Western culture of Thanksgiving (occurring on the fourth Thursday of November).

I spent CNY eve by calling home in the morning (since Singapore is 13 hours ahead) to wish my family health and peace. Then, I went to Sam's Club with Eduardo and his family to buy grocery. I bought a snow sled since it was on sales and spent the afternoon sledding away. I could not imagine sledding as being tiring but it was. My new kind landlord, Edwin invited me to join his friends and colleagues for dinner. I was so filled up by the food on the table and I drank two bottles of Singapore's own brew, Tiger!

Wishing all my readers a happy, healthy and peaceful piggy year!

No comments: