Monday, March 09, 2009

Lactose tolerant now

I used to visit the restroom after drinking a cup of milk because I suffered from lactose intolerant. Lactose is a milk sugar, made up of two simple sugar molecules, galactose and glucose. Since I had stopped drinking milk a long time ago, my body was not producing enough lactase, an enzyme to digest lactose. The undigested lactose became a food source for microbes in our gut which could lead to flatulence and diarrhea.

Recently, I had been inducing myself gradually by adding increasing volume of milk everyday to my coffee. Be careful not to overdose as there will be bad repercussion. Now, I can drink a cup of milk without any gastrointestinal upset. Our body does not waste energy to synthesize an enzyme which it does not use, so as the saying goes, "Use it or lose it."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Funny how the milk in milk chocolate was never a problem!