Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Last of snowboarding

I went for my first snowboarding session this winter season on Feb 14 (yes, Valentine's Day) after one week of recovery from my arduous journey.

At Liberty Ski Resort, I took a beginner course to refresh my memory because I had not snowboard for a year. Without fail, I assumed my secret identity of SpongeBob SquarePaul by sticking two car sponges into my pants to cushion against falling on my buns. This time round, I was comfortable moving, turning and stopping with the snowboard.

The bunny slope was not crowded that day which I presumed people were celebrating V-Day elsewhere. It felt great to slide down the slope with cold wind hitting my face. At the end of that day, I bought a mountain passport.

On Feb 21, a bunch of us headed back to Liberty again where I took lesson two and upgraded my board to a Type II (intermediate) from a Type I (beginner). I had to get used to the board as it was easier to maneuver and had to make sure I did not exert extra strength else I would fall. During the lesson, I learned how to traverse down a slope and linking my turns.

Falling a few times on my buns without my sponges reminded me that I still had a long way to master snowboarding. The green and blue slopes were steeper and more exciting than the bunny slope.

Atlas, winter is coming to an end which means end of snowboarding too. I intend to try skiing next season if I am still around. Finger cross.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think it is "Sponge Paul Ski Pants" but we get the idea.