Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Wish you a blessed Christmas





Today, I spent my Christmas first time overseas. No, there was no white, romantic Christmas here which was good since traveling would be a hassle. Instead, we had a calm and almost warm Christmas.

I went to work half-day on Dec 24 and tried to get an afternoon nap as I wanted to attend the midnight mass service at Saints Philip and James Church. I tossed for about 15 minutes before giving up and watched TV instead.

Street in In the evening, I arranged with Jingshi to take pictures of Christmas light up at intersection of Chestnut Avenue and 34thHampden. Only at this block could you see every house decorated with lights and Christmas decorations. It has become a tourist attraction at this time of the year to see the light ups. Traffic came to a crawl as many cars slowed to take pictures and pedestrians covers the walkway on both sides of the street. Snowman, The Grinch, reindeer, candy sticks etc were out on display.

I overheard a conversation between an owner of the houses and a sightseer that the electrical bill was expensive but she rather sacrificed and spread Christmas cheers. What a noble spirit!

Thereafter, I went to the midnight mass where they had a special half-an-hour of carols. The choir and music were good. After mass, I took pictures of the church decorations, especially the Nativity scene which is the reason we celebrate Christ-mass (celebration of Jesus' birth).

The walk back to my apartment was peaceful and silent like the carol, Silent Night and I contemplated on the meaning of Christmas. I called back home to wish my family a blessed Christmas and opened a gift.

Christmas was spent cooking lunch for Eduardo and family. I grilled and baked pork loins which I marinated with three separate recipes on Sunday night. I also served stir-fried Shanghai cabbage with shrimp, fried sweet potato fries and white radish red dates with wolf berries soup.

My boss, Prof. August invited the 'lonely' post-docs for a dinner at his home. I had red and white wine, chicken, salad and baked potatoes, followed by dessert.

It had been an eventful Christmas here and pray for peace to reign in the hearts of men!

Hampden Christmas pictures.

1 comment:

Charles Sng said...

Happy New Year Bro! Wishing you a good year filled with more love, joy, blessings and meanings :)

Hope your season hols were great and memorable too :)

Btw, have you received my cards yet?