Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Ranking of my photo albums on Webshots

I created my Webshots account (littlesaul) on March 21, 2006 to share my travel pictures online with friends and family back home. My initial idea was to upload every single picture so that I had backup of all my pictures online. In addition, I had saved them on my 100Gb external hard disk.

Charles once mentioned that he browsed through the majority of pictures in an album and clicked on those that caught his attention. This set me thinking. He suggested that I should select the best and do some editing such as cropping and changing colors before letting the world see. For me, I just simply use PictureProject which came with my Nikon D70S to do auto-enhancing. The software usually brightens and sharpens my pictures. He also recommended to burn CDs on top of storing pictures in my hard disk.

As time passed, I set for myself a limit to upload a maximum of 45 pictures per album. This meant making decisions to include only those which I wanted to tell a story or my point of view. So far, two categories which I uploaded my albums are ranked while the rest have this annotation "see the top 1000 members in this category". In outdoors, I am ranked 6956 out of 16,132 members and in fall scenic, my rank is 857 out of 14,353 members.

I get a kick out of seeing my works noticed. This definitely motivate me to improve on my capturing skill which reminds me of a book I bought on all I need to know on digital photography. I will need to set aside some time to go through it.

No comments: