Tuesday, October 03, 2006

A place to hang loose




Wild horses. White beaches. Towering waves. Great location for relaxation during summer. The place that I visited was Assateague Island National Park, a barrier island located off the coast of Maryland and Virginia. People were camping in trailers and hiking along salt marshes, coastal bays and maritime forests.

The 'wild' horses are actually descendants of domesticated horses that roamed freely on the island. I went on a horse 'hunt', armed with my camera, to the salt marshes. The only thing I saw related to a horse was its poo.

Ironically, a stallion showed up at the beach, grazing the sparse grasses. It was not impressive as I imagined it to be. The beast was short and strutted awkwardly since it was walking on sand. I had taken pictures of what I had come to see and I was satisfied.

Next, was Rehoboth beach in Delaware. While driving pass Ocean City, Maryland, the buildings reminded me of my days at Gold Coast, Australia. Beachside hotels, shops selling beach wares and souvenirs.

Upon arrival, there was a sea of people walking along the boardwalk. The beach was crowded with sun bathers and I managed to tan for one hour before going into the icy water. The waves were huge. You have to be constantly on your toes. I was caught off guard by one which dragged me along the seabed. I escaped with scratches on my body.

Assateague Island and Rehoboth Beach pictures.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are really a good traveller.

Anonymous said...

This is really horrible!!! Are the authorities able to do anything about this?!?

Anonymous said...

My apologies, the previous comment is meant for the blog regarding your colleage losing all her gifts to thieves.....

Anonymous said...

now that u r in US, do u find that they have a better quality of life than in Singapore?

Its nice to see that you've visited so many beautiful places... =)

I'm looking forward to looking at your photos of the autumn landscape. ;)

Cheers,
huibin