Thursday, August 10, 2006

Turning into a fiddler crab

The distinguish characteristic of a male fiddler crab is its lopsided pair of front claws. Females and young have two equal-sized small claws.

The dry spell from my blog was because I was busy with large-scale screening of virus peptides that bind to molecules involved in the immune system. This screening included a lot of liquid handling where I had to transfer from one container to another using a tool called a multi-channel pipettor. The number of times I spent pipetting into 96-well containers during this short period was more than what I did in my entire undergraduate days. You can say that my right hand now is overused and aches from dispensing. To prevent myself from turning into a fiddler crab, I am using my left hand to dispense too (although I am using an automatic pipettor in this case). I still have to use my right hand for accurate dispensing. It would be good if I were ambidextrous.

The only hope for me now is to get three quotations for a robot that can dispense liquid accurately.

The fiddler crab picture was taken from www.ryanphotographic.com

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wah, so scientist-like wor. Picture also got reference one leh.

Paul said...

Discussing about work mah, so must explain generally for the majority of readers.

It is a good practise to give credit to those whom you used the materials from.