Saturday, April 19, 2008

Rolling comes at a"bodily harm" price

To prepare for another white water kayaking trip on this Sunday, I practiced my rolling on Apr 17 and 18.

After the first day, I had a big bruise on my right knee and some on my hip too. The old wound on my left thumb slightly reopened. Still, I was not able to roll over upon capsizing.

Yesterday, while recovering from a sore hip, I reached the pool one hour later because I was very tired from only 4 hours of sleep. There was only one kayak left. So, I got into the Pop kayak. It was comfortable with roomy leg space. I did some hipsnap at the side of the pool for warm up. Then, I teamed up with another to roll, just in case I needed a T-rescue.

I was surprised and elated that I could roll upon my first attempt! Thinking it was luck, I tried many more and was successful at rolling every time. I definitely felt prepared for this trip compared to my first, where I was more worried and scared that I could not roll.

When it was time to choose the kayak we wanted for the trip, I was disappointed that someone had reserved Pop already. I associated me being able to roll with the type of kayak since I tried Riot on the previous day.

Well, I just had to practice my roll on the river in the Pyranha which had a similar look to the Pop. It would be a different location from the previous trip. I am all excited for tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Damaged body parts? I guess we should be grateful that you didn't show us your pre-sponge snowboarding bruises.