Friday, October 19, 2007

Maryland Renaissance Festival





The Maryland Renaissance Festival is located on Crownsville Road, in Anne Arundel County in Crownsville, just outside of Annapolis, MD and opens only on weekends during falls.

It is a recreation of 16th century English village where adults and children can dress up in costumes (elves, pirates, dukes, dames etc) to relive their fantasies. Costume rental was available at the entrance. Some families even turned up in costumes. There were actors and actresses going around the village entertaining the guests.

Street and stage performances dotted the entire village for those interested in English playwrights. Shops selling various wares like wooden mugs, jewelry, pottery, leather-work, clothing, glass-blowing, paintings, and soft sculpture were but some of the artistry displayed. I was curious about the prices of the costumes that were sold and they do not come cheap! It cost around US$100 for a simple peasant shirt made of linen. There was a jousting arena where knights jousted in full armor. I pitied the knights since it was hot and dry that day.

I tried my hands at various game booths throwing axes and ninja darts since I would not have a chance to do it in Singapore. These would be considered as weapons. None of my axes got stuck on the wall and my darts were off the bullseye. There goes my possibility of being an assassin. I hesitated on trying a high striker (a.k.a. strength tester or strongman game) since it was public. For a dollar, you got must hit the bell three times to win a cheap necklace. I only managed to get the puck halfway up the tower. Well, I would need more practices to use my body's momentum to hit the bell or hit the gym to gain muscle before trying again.

Maryland Renaissance Festival pictures.

No comments: