Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Finally got my hands on Harry Potter

Last Thursday (Oct 11), before I went for a camping trip at Delaware Water Gap (my future post as I am editing the pictures), I wanted to get a good fiction to read while I was camping.

After work, I dropped by the library and as usual browsed through the shelves for the latest series of Harry Potter. I knew it was available a few months ago after its worldwide launch on July 21 but the two copies in Eisenhower Library were always checked out.

There was no sign of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows on the display shelves. By a "twist of magic", I decided to browse for it through the online catalog. Lo and behold, one copy was available. I went to the check-out counter and inquired if it was available.

The librarian said, "It had just been returned."

"Great!" I exclaimed. "I had been trying to get hold of it for a long time."

"It's a great book. Enjoy reading it."

"Thanks."

I was hooked on Harry Potter after borrowing the first series from my university library during my undergraduate days. Since then, I had always read the series on loaned from the library and the fourth series was borrowed from a friend. I only bought Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix as a Christmas gift for one of my godsons. So, in keeping with this tradition, I was bend on getting my hands on Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows though I could get it from Barnes and Nobles down my block.

However, I am not reading as fast compared to the previous six series because I would like to hold onto the suspense as long as possible. By finishing it, the "spell" of Harry Potter over me would also be lifted. Let's hope that J.K. Rowling can come up with another sellout series of fiction.

The list below was taken from Wikipedia on Harry Potter. Read the interesting annotation on translating British English to American English by clicking on the first series.
  1. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone 26 June 1997 (titled Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone in the United States
  2. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets 2 July 1998
  3. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban 8 July 1999
  4. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire 8 July 2000
  5. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix 21 June 2003
  6. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince 16 July 2005
  7. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows 21 July 2007

No comments: