Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Cherry blossom at DC (Episode 2)






Last year around this time, I went to see the cherry blossom with Greg at Washington D.C. but most of the thousand-odd trees had shed their beautiful blossoms.

This year, I am determined to see the Tidal Basin in full bloom. The peak bloom forecast for 2007 was Apr 3 - 5 from the Official Website of The National Cherry Blossom Festival. After my experience last year with bad weather and mistiming, I consulted with the weather forecast and decided Apr 3 (Tue) was the best day to go since it was sunny and temperature hovering around 70 Fahrenheit.

It was a good decision since it rained today (Apr 4). Greg initially planned to go today but I did not want to be caught in the rain. Also, the rain would cause the blossoms to fall.

On Apr 2, which was Greg's birthday, he invited us over to his home to watch the final in national college basketball between University of Florida and Ohio State University. Thereafter, Greg and I decided to drive to DC at 12 midnight to avoid the 4am rush towards DC.

We reached DC around 2am, Apr 3 and spent a good deal of time searching for free or all-day-long parking as all the parking lots had 2hr limit. Eventually, we found one but it was closed and we just parked right outside a bank at the intersection of 11th and E streets. (I was thinking what would happen if there was a bank robbery and we would be suspected as accomplices.) Greg brought along pillows and throw overs. This was the first time I slept in a car in USA. I was tired but woke up on every little sound. My survival instinct kicked in to check there was no danger before dozing off again. I suggested to Greg that we should sleep under starlit night at camp site instead of street lamps along a road.

Around 6am, the garage was opened and we parked the car. Morning was cold and we were not dressed warmly. Anyway, we reached the Tidal Basin and this time round, our effort was not in vain. The whole lake was surrounded by blooming cherry blossoms. What a magnificent sight to behold. Some of the trees were already shedding their blossoms which looked like snow flakes. The petals formed an interesting abstract art piece on the water too.

With 1 gb CF card, I was shooting away till I ended up with 161 photos. Taking good pictures at dawn was challenging with the low light intensity.

Anyway, I went back to work in the afternoon, feeling tired but satisfied!

Specially selected cherry blossom photos are available here.

No comments: