Friday, January 12, 2007

A well written work on a taboo subject

Finished reading a book that is simply controversial. It sets the reader thinking what he would do regarding to his own body upon death (normal persons would have been buried or cremated).

Entitled "Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers" by Mary Roach who had done an excellent job detailing how to use the human corpse for worthy purposes other than rotting in the grave or be burnt at high temperature. Dead bodies have been used for practising surgery, targets of guns and ammunitions for developing body armour, and even medicinal uses?! To set the record straight, I do not mind donating my organs to save the lives of others but I am not willing to be experimented over my dead body.

I am reading two books simultaneously since one needs reflection and the other is a fiction. One of my favorite authors, Paulo Coelho shared his thoughts and reflections of life in "Like The Flowing River". This was a gift from Huibin who thought I might be bored at night and weekends with no good book to read. The other is "Angels and Demons" by Dan Brown borrowed from the mini library at Broadview basement.

4 comments:

Charles Sng said...

Hahaha I got the very book (Like the Flowing River) from a friend during Xmas! It is lying on my desk now, reading it from time to time. What a coincidence! :)

Katie Z. said...

I browse that book over at borders... interesting book... so our head weighs like a chicken, abt 5kg.. LOL.. I have several Paulo Coelho books, only his Veronica Decides to Die is nice that I regard as nice.. Heard he's not consider a good writer at Brazil, it's his translations that makes him good...

Paul said...

Yes, interesting coincidence.

I enjoyed the that light-hearted style of writing in the morbid book. I did not know about that. Let me ask my Brazilian colleagues abt Paulo. The content is important too. Well, then we have to give credit to the translators too.

Paul said...

I have no idea about this. Thank you for sharing.