Sunday, January 07, 2007

Happy 2007 to one and all!




After two months back home in Singapore, I flew back to USA on Dec 28, 2355hr on flight SQ026 via Frankfurt, Germany to John F. Kennedy International Airport, NY. A total of 24 flight hours. The stopover at Frankfurt allowed me to step foot on Europe continent for the first time. (I have a German friend who had been inviting me to visit him since 2002 but have not done that. I had made a mental note to visit him when I fly back home next time.) The waiting area was dull and cold as compared to the posh, carpeted and well-planned transit area of Changi Airport. There was only one gents room available for the big waiting area. So, better hold your bladder while waiting.

I entertained myself through the arduous journey watching five on-demand movies from over 70 channels and was well-hydrated from the frequent serving of fluids from the flight stewardesses. Food was good but I avoided alcohol since I lack alcohol dehydrogenase. Overall, the service was better than United Airlines which I took on my first trip to USA.

Upon touched down at 1000hr Dec 29, I decided to travel back to Baltimore instead of spending a few days sight-seeing New York City and counting down at Times Square. I had four luggage which contained mostly Singapore local pastes such as laska, mee rebus, mee siam, etc and souvenirs for colleagues and friends. Getting to the actual train station was a challenge since I only had a bit of information from a friend who suggested this route.

I travelled on the Manhattan Express to The Grand Central Terminal which unfortunately was not the station departing for Baltimore. It did looked like a grand dame and was packed with tourists and passengers. I had to navigate myself through the crowd with four heavy luggage, carrying them up and down staircases. This was the worse part of my mini-adventure for doing things last minute as was contrary to my usual "plan ahead mentality". After two transfers of the NY subway, I arrived at Penn Station, NY and bought a train ticket (USD$114) leaving in 15 minutes time. Since it was the holiday season, the price was high compared to the usual $60 range.

There was little time for me to get lunch and go to the restroom with my heavy luggage. So, I opted to go hungry not knowing that food was available on Amtrak train. After settling myself comfortably, I noticed commuters heading towards the front carriage and back with food and drinks. I bought a pizza (the first typical American food after a two-month period) and a can of root beer. I had to fight against the sleeping 'monster' in order not to miss my stop at Penn Station, Baltimore (FYI: there are lots of Penn Stations in USA, so better ask which state before you buy your ticket). Fero was kind to pick me up at the station and sent me to my apartment.

I knocked out at 7pm after 31 hours of travel and got up the next day adjusting to the 13-hour difference.

For this new year, my resolutions include getting back into shape, learning how to bake, getting my US driving license, travel as many states as possible, and publishing first and co-author papers.

Signing off with a new start.

4 comments:

Charles Sng said...

Haha finally updated your blog! :P All the best in everything u planned to do for 2007!

Love the second pic u took :)

Anonymous said...

eh i took the exact same flight to NY from Frankfurt. Good service hor?

Maybe you already got back in shape after your mini-adventure with 4 luggages...

Good luck in the new year.

Paul said...

Yup, but wonder why they would not give me a bottle of mineral water when I requested for it. They said they can serve me water whenever I wanted.

The mini-adventure left me exhausted and sore muscles. Haha.

Maybe can drop by next year when I am going back to Singapore since you have 'no leave'.

Paul said...

The second picture was taken in the tunnel. Think it was the same tunnel in the movie, Daylight. A long stretch of road. Any accident, God forbids, is bad.