Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Courage to face adversities

Yesterday, the priest's sermon on Mark's Gospel touched me. The reading was about a blind man who begged Jesus to give him sight (see below).

He preached about courage in the midst of disappointments and hardships in life. I noticed that as I aged, I tend to be cynical and realistic about life.

Having been rewarded with good grades for working hard as a student, I used the same strategy in my life. However, Life in most cases does not always go my way. I ended up frustrated and disappointed.

As I reflected, ordinary people whom we called heroes have no super power. They accomplished extraordinary acts through sheer courage and determination such as climb Mt Everest without oxygen, sail alone around the world in X days etc.

Life goes on regardless of my disappointments. So, I choose to be courageous and smile at what Life throws at me.

Mk 10:46-52
As Jesus was leaving Jericho with his disciples and a sizable crowd,
Bartimaeus, a blind man, the son of Timaeus,
sat by the roadside begging.
On hearing that it was Jesus of Nazareth,
he began to cry out and say,
"Jesus, son of David, have pity on me."
And many rebuked him, telling him to be silent.
But he kept calling out all the more,
"Son of David, have pity on me."
Jesus stopped and said, "Call him."
So they called the blind man, saying to him,
"Take courage; get up, Jesus is calling you."
He threw aside his cloak, sprang up, and came to Jesus.
Jesus said to him in reply, "What do you want me to do for you?"
The blind man replied to him, "Master, I want to see."
Jesus told him, "Go your way; your faith has saved you."
Immediately he received his sight
and followed him on the way.

No comments: