Tuesday, June 16, 2009

10-10-2009, Baltimore Running Festival

My janitor friend at lab often teased me for being a thrill seeker such as jumping out of the plane or white water kayaking. This time round, I am thinking of a mental and physical challenge: running a marathon (42 km or 26.1 miles) on Oct 10, 2009 at the Baltimore Running Festival. Training would be tough since I would be traveling often too.

Writing along the MasterCard advertisement theme:
  1. Buying a Nathan Speed 2 Waist Pack with Two 10-Ounce Nutrition Flasks, $24.86
  2. A new pair of Asics Gel Kayano-15, $122.91
  3. Motivation to train and complete the marathon on Oct 10, $PRICELESS.
After a 1-month hiatus because of tour and recovering from a cold, I began to run 5 km this evening with my new pair of running shoes and the hydration pack along Linkwood trail. The shoes felt great and comfortable, plus the cushioning was good. The hydration pack did not bounce, fitting snugly to my waist. The bottles were easy to retrieve and fit back into the holders while running. The only issue I had was the velcro was sticking out.

As daylight faded, there were flashes of small lights along the forested trail. It felt like an enchanted trail with fairy lights (actually they were fireflies).

Meanwhile, I had downloaded some training program for beginner marathoner. I need to be consistent and discipline to train. Besides these, eating a healthy diet and having sufficient sleep are important too. Turning in now since it was 11.37pm. Good night from Baltimore, MD, USA!

1 comment:

The Scientist said...

Good luck!

you want me to send you running tips i got from my running friend(s) before i did my race?

i'm still trying to train but not very consistent with the running bit. takes a lot of time...