Thursday, June 26, 2008

I am not alone

In the midst of my traveling stint, I am writing up my experiments on flu vaccine. This partially explains why I have not been posting as I am sick of writing.

Writing a paper is a different ball game compared to posting on a blog. For me, I take it to share my traveling and experiences overseas with my love ones. Of course, there are people who take their blog seriously and write stupendous articles that keep fans coming back.

In research field, there is an infamous phrase 'Publish or perish'. Many researchers enjoy doing experiments but when it comes to publishing their works, many struggle to write or present.

Trained to be detailed, critical and creative etc., I have to think of how best to present my results after interpreting experimental data and give a thorough discussion as to how my results can contribute to the global view of my field. I have to write in an objective and logical manner instead of basing on my moods and feelings.

It becomes an obstacle when you know your experiments inside out and you take for granted that others will know them well too.

Letting fellow colleagues proof-read and critique the drafts helps tremendously. I got over my mental block and started revising tables and figures after constructive criticism and discussion. I totally agree with the old saying 'Two heads are better than one'.

No comments: