Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Natural beauty in the sky

I was supposed to go snowboarding on Saturday, Mar 8 for the last time this season as winter is ending. This trip was organized by the Johns Hopkins Post-Doctorate Association where Hopkins post-docs were subsidized and paid only $25 compared to the usual $77.

However, the weather on Saturday was bad and the trip was re-scheduled to Sunday. I slept till 9am since I always sleep better when I am warm and cozy under my blanket on rainy days. My usual waking time is around 7+am. I needed the extra since I had a busy week.

The sky did not let up till 3pm and the sun peeked out from the overcast. I thought the rest of the day would be clear but Mother Nature proofed me wrong.

While cooking laksa for dinner, there was sudden pelting of the windows. It was falling 0.5 inches of hailstones. Just as I looked out of the window, I saw a beautiful bow across the sky.

I dropped what I was doing and took out my camera to capture shots of the rainbow. There were two rainbows, the primary bow with seven colors (mnemonic: Richard of York gave battle in vain; red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo and violet) and the secondary bow in reverse order and of lighter intensity.

The amazing sight was the rainbow ending at a ruin castle-liked building and a sun ray illuminated the building while the rest of the surrounding was overshadowed. It was like heaven reaching out and pointing a way to me.

Whenever I see a rainbow, I remember the Bible passage of Genesis 9:13,15 where God made a pact with man to never flood the earth again: "I set My rainbow in the cloud, and it shall be for the sign of the covenant between Me and the earth... .. the waters shall never again become a flood to destroy all flesh."

Rainbow pictures.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Legend has it that there is a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. May you find it.