Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Following another car for direction

On Feb 24, Singapore International Foundation (SIF) had organized a post Chinese New Year gathering in Virginia. There were two rental cars and 10 people attending from Baltimore.

Due to some last minute changes, I had to drive a car and followed Wen Min's car since she had a global positioning system. This was the first time I had to follow behind some car since I would plan my route before going anywhere.

I hated leaving only a car space between us on the highway, so I left two to three spaces. Along the one hour odd journey, there were intervening cars obstructing my view where I struggled to ensure we were still in the right direction.

My passengers also complained that my overtaking was not smooth initially which I made a mental note and overtook smoothly.

The last part of the drive along D.C. was tricky as there were many turns at short distances. I had vague memory of the direction because I was concentrating on following, rather than constructing mental road map.

We arrived in one-piece at the cafe. The food was not superb but the company was. There were performances put up by young Singaporeans and I was picked to play 'Who is smarter than a fifth grader'.

I did not have to drive on the journey back since I hopped onto Wen Min's car. I only had the slightest memory to get back to 295.

No comments: