Friday, September 29, 2006

Recounting back in time

It has been almost one month since I posted. During this period, I was extremely busy with experiments and preparing slides for update of National Institutes of Health (NIH) grant project, and culturing cells.

As my project involves screening different viral peptides for the entire lab, I had screened more than 600 peptides for binding to Major Histocompatibility Complex molecules (with help from fellow colleagues) in this short six months. The large data generated had to be processed and presented with results from prediction models.

Before the presentation on Oct 20, 2006, the atmosphere in the lab was tense. We (Yang Kun, Milton, Eduardo and I) were busy preparing slides. Dry runs were performed to improve our slides.

A farewell party at the Johns Hopkins Faculty Club was organized for Yang Kun, who would be going back to China on Oct 30. I will miss a good colleague and friend whom I had come to cherish in this short time. We also celebrated Tom's birthday on Oct 19 where he turned 79. I admire him for being so alert and active at his age!

On 'D-Day', I was the first to present where my voice quivered at the beginning. Eventually, I got over it as Linda (from NIH) was pleasant. Lunch that day was exorbitant and delicious, consisting of sandwiches, cheese and salad. We even had a lot left over for the next day.

Life on Oct 21 was back to normalcy of conducting experiments.

No comments: